I thought it would be nice to make this available, as a gesture of appreciation to the various companies with whose products I have been so delighted, and that it could be of interest to all you latent tourers!
THE BIKE…… SIR GALAHAD!
Dave Yates ‘Wanderer’….. HAND built to my measurements and spec, my noble steed.
( I will have you know that he has only needed air in his tyres 3 times in 7 months )
Chas Roberts hand built from Croydon or Thorn from St John’s in Bridgewater, Somerset
– take a look cycling eye glass… A rear view mirror that sits on my helmet ( see pic )
– ergon bar grips with ‘cow horns’
-tubus ‘logo’ rear and ‘surly cro mo’ front racks ( competition Thorn racks)
– St. John’s bike shop front handle bar accessory bar
– Brooks saddle (no competition!)
– Rohloff 14 speed hub gear
-‘hiking’ pole … serves as a prop and dog fender or bog prod
– Ortlieb front and rear panniers
– Carradice low saddle long flap saddle bag ( which sits perfectly on the front bar accessory)
– Camel-back 1.5lt water back pack, with unique leather replacement waist strap, made by Zino
– waterproof map case, worn over shoulder
– lights front and back
– serious rechargeable front head light
– bungies x3
– The Calendar of the Soul… Soul verses, Rudolf Steiner
– maps. I try to get the country I am about to visit while in the previous country.
Right now though, I have Greek Pelopponese and small overview of Turkey, Caucasus and Romania. When I have done with them, I send them home.
– Panasonic DMC-TZ 18
– 3 spare batteries + charger
– memory cards x 4
– Terra Nova laser competition tent (less than 1kg)
– mid season sleeping bag
– self-inflating sleeping mat + yellow light weight foam mat
– silk liner
– light cotton sarong, doubles as sheet/towel/pillow case etc.
– Trangia stove and spirit fuel bottle (red)!
– thermos mug with plunger for coffee from Skagen, Denmark
– SteriPEN water purifier
– Ortlieb water carrier 2lt
– Pegless washing line (thanks to Jane Fontana in Kyrgyzstan! 🙂 )
– petzel head torch
– Mobile phone Nokia and HTC
– small black moleskin address book
– vital cap .. keeps glare and dazzle off while I paint ( green/blue )
– Paramo jacket, trousers, gillet, cargo shorts and pants (x 2)
– ‘BAM’ bamboo vest, T-shirt, long sleeved T-shirt and above all SOCKS
– Rudy Project multi lens prescription shades
– black leggings, which multi-task
– sturdy gortex boots bought in Kraków
– orange fleece cardi also from Kraców
– black wrap around Romanian skirt from Budapest…. in daily use
– unpleasantly luminous superbly HI-VIZ flappy waistcoat
– now on volume 5
I have sent the first 4 home.
– driving licence
– card reader ( bank)
– duplicates on memory stick and much much more! ( a friend in UK has a duplicate memory stick but I forgot which friend!! )
LUXURIES …. ESSENTIAL (well I would rather not part with them) GIRL STUFF?!
– amber earrings from Poland, bought in the Totnes market!
– moonstone pendant on leather unbreakable bootlace ( see helmet mirror pic)
– mascara/eyeliner/2 small eye shadow compacts/lippie so that I can doll up for concerts!
– cloth slippers from Poland, bought in Łodz
– pretty scarf
– long, light shift … Lovely gift from Susan in Sicily. With scarf, makes reliable concert outfit
– Euthymol toothpaste ( brought up on it )
– very small bottle of chamomile shampoo for those moments I want something nice to smell
– ditto tiny bar of soap for when I can’t find any
– excellent pair of nail clippers and
– beautiful glass nail file from Sweden (for keeping nails nice for playing the piano of course)
– lavender lip salve
– tiny pot of geranium face moisturiser…. Applied once every month or so; my daughter insisted!
– tiny pot of plantain herbal ointment for cuts/infected sores
– sea legs ( I get sea sick on ferries, buses, trains and in cars… s’why I ride a bike )
– good tea bags … Just a handful, or sometimes coffee
– orange flavoured yummy Chilli chocolate from home or peppermint choc when I run out
Combined weight not much more than a couple of pounds, honestly!
– Beethoven sonatas x 3
– Chopin prelude no.1
– Pachulski prelude in C
– memory stick with scanned scores from Bach to Rachmaninov!
– music reading spectacles
TOOLS ( see pic )
– ratchet spanner size 15
– spoke wrench
– leatherman multi-tool
– several zip-ties
– excellent bike rack straps x 3 eg. For securing front wheel when parked so it won’t swing.
These are my favourites! The rest are all the usual, brake pads, puncture repair kit, etc.
– Daler Rowney half pan water colour tablets
– The Langton Prestige paper, rough grain, A3 size (see photo)
– sable brushes, size 6 and 8
This is not quite the whole caboodle, but apart from a few more chargers for phones etc and miscellaneous bits and bobs that I collect as I go along, it is a fairly accurate picture!
The bike weighs 15kg and I try to keep the luggage to 20kg. I weigh 55kg usually….